The Buisson family has been present in the village of Saint Romain in the Cote d'Or since the twelfth century. In 1947, Henri and Marguerite Buisson decided to begin bottling their wine at the domaine and selling it under their own label. That is now the family tradition carried on in noble fashion by their son, Gilles Buisson, who works an estate of nineteen hectares with the able assistance of his wife, Monica, and their two sons, Franck and Fr�d�rick.
Since the 1970s the vineyards have been worked according to organic principles. As of 2009, the estate has been officially certified organic by the ECOCERT organization. Vines are planted at a density level of 10,000 per hectare. Of the 19 hectares owned by the domaine, eleven are planted to red pinot noir and eight are planted to Chardonnay.
The vineyards of Saint Romain are often overlooked since they are located to the west of some of the most famous vineyards of the Cote de Beaune and are somewhat isolated in a valley tucked away on the road that runs from Meursault and Volnay through Auxey Duresses and then on to Saint Romain. This appellation, however, deserves considerably more attention as the exposure of the vineyards is excellent, the slopes are steep and the soil is a mix of clay, limestone and marne. The slightly cooler temperatures result in a longer growing season and wines that carry a pleasant and refreshing level of acidity. The Buisson domaine is a fine source of terroir-expressive wines that offer outstanding value.